"The first thing to really touch me artistically were the picture story books that were read to me by my parents. Titles like "Father Christmas Goes On Holiday" by Raymond Briggs, "Where The Wild Things Are" and "In The Night Kitchen" Maurice Sendak, "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein etc. As I got older I would spend hours watching cartoons like Bugs Bunny, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons and then I would go and try drawing them myself using my dad's derwent set or Posca markers."
Eddy went on to high school and found that the class that interested him most was Graphic Design. "I liked the structured way that Graphics was set up as opposed to art class. It seemed more accessable at the time." But it was the morning train ride that would inflence and excite him the most. "I would catch the train to school alone in the mornings and just soak up all the graffiti that was along the train line. The colours, and designs, the lettering and the characters. It was like visiting a gallery every morning and each week a new one would pop up somewhere."
Then he went to tafe to do a diploma in Graphic Art and after finishing was employed in an advertising firm in Melbourne. "It was a great place to learn to be creative on demand and to learn to stick to a deadline."
He left to start an independent clothing label selling t-shirts, tops, jumpers and
jackets with hand screened prints. "The hand screening meant that we could make limited runs of certain prints and increase the value of each particular garment in the same way an artist would with prints on paper. Doing the screen printing ourselves taught me a lot about stencils, seperating colours and the printing process in general. I really grew my skills while developing that company."
Disaster struck in 2006 when he was diagnosed with an aggressive bone cancer in his lower back. "Yeah, it was literally a real pain in the bum! I underwent chemo, radiotherapy, and then a major surgery which lasted 16 hours was performed by two of the top surgeons in the country. Needless to say it was tough. My life was on hold while all this was going on. But the positive I took from it was that I was given a chance to devote all my energy to my artworks alone. While I was stuck in the rat race I didn't have enough time to really create something worth while. I was always worrying about paying my bills, and my art was suffering. Now I can really get into a rythm and produce some decent works."